25 August 2008

tomato pie

i had this at a dinner party over the weekend. man...it was good!


Pillsbury pie crust
Beefsteak tomatoes
Fresh basil
Shredded mozzarella
Sour cream
Mayo
Salt
Olive oil


Drain the tomatoes by cutting off the bottom and squeezing the seeds/juice out. I learned that the bottom is best to squeeze the seeds out by trial and error. Slice and put them in a colander for 1-2 hours to drain. Spray the pie dish/casserole dish with pam. Trim/piece together the pie crust to fit. Put a layer of cheese on the bottom (a couple of handfuls), then a layer of tomatoes, basil, salt, and olive oil. Repeat the layers again, obviously minus the pie crust. Top with a mixture of 2 parts mozzarella and 1 part each of sour cream and mayo. The only thing that I did different is I added a little garlic powder and pepper to each layer. The original recipe called for some parmesan, but I only used mozzarella.

Bake for 40-45 minutes uncovered at 350.

4 comments:

the higgins family said...

that sounds so odd but i will give it a try! i so love pie!!!

Gourley-Thompson's said...

OK-Betsy, so with my bounty of tomatoes, when are we making this? Sounds delish...thanks for sharing Denise and thanks Betsy for directing me to it!
:)

Rita Jr. said...

I think this sounds really good! Great one! anything that calls for cheese has my thumbs up vote 98% of the time : )

Cute new blog layout too...

and very cute pics of your week so far...

big D wilsons said...

again, cafe CM, i am placing a to go order to be picked up thirsday am.
thanks!