ah, music. a magic beyond all we do here!
j.k. rowling
my dad gave me a lot of things. one of those things was a love for the american standard. it's my hands down favorite genre of music. a top ten list has proved impossible!
10.
god bless the child - gladys knight
9.
i left my heart in san francisco - tony bennet
8.
cheek to cheek - fred astaire and ginger rogers
7.
blue bayou - linda ronstadt
6.
lets fall in love - diana krall
5.
sunday kind of love - etta james
4.
come fly with me - frank sinatra
3.
i've got a woman - ray charles
2.
daydream - the lovin' spoonful
1.
for once in my life - stevie wonder
and i couldn't let go of these:
the way you look tonight - tony bennett
let's do it, let's fall in love - bing crosby
all of me - ella fitzgerald
new york new york - frank sinatra
come rain or come shine - judy garland
13 comments:
OMG...okay, our karma is getting weird. you'll never guess what song i heard while i was on hold today...!!!! the girl from freakin' ipanima!!!! too weird. i love many on your list - kudos.
Fantastic list....fantastic.
WHAT A BLAST!! Just listened to all of these....thanks so much for this great post : )
I would add 1 newer song to the list...."My Girl", a 1965 classic.
Another great song:
"Fly Me to the Moon" is a pop standard song written by Bart Howard in 1954. When introduced by Felicia Sanders on the cabaret circuit, it was originally titled "In Other Words". The song became popularly called "Fly Me to the Moon" from its first line, but it took a few years for the publishers to change the title officially.
This is one of my favorite songs I always requested at a piano bar with a vocalist.
One last comment: The only LP album that I replaced because of use was "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music" by Ray Charles, 1962. This is my lifetime favorite.
i love this list! many are faves of mine...especially your #1.
the best part about the post - hands down - are your dad's comments. fantastic! love you don!
ps: linking to you tube is GENIUS. (of course, when opportunity presents, i'll be copying this idea)
Great list! Like Betsy, I love your #1 choice. I can't wait and listen to them all.
Great List Denise!
Okay, I went listened to them and while I love the song, the video of Stevie Wonder and his "dancers" had me laughing. Were these professional dancers,...I wonder. This would never fly on MTV today.
i too was cracking up at the back up dancers, it was one of the reasons i picked that particular video. they weren't even in sync.
This is great! I couldn't tell you one song currently on top 40 charts but I know the words to every song on your list. I love old music like this. My Ipod is nothing but greatest hits- Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Wonder, Frank, Ray Charles are all there.
Post a Comment