22 April 2008

my tiny footprint

"we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
native american proverb

i "celebrated" earth day for 6 consecutive years in boston where we would head to the hatch shell to celebrate earthfest. i say "celebrate" and that meant packing a cooler, listening to music, and hanging out under the bright blue sky. that certainly did not mean acknowledging this precious planet earth.

years later, my perspective is different however i have a long way to go before making any kind of legitimate footprint. i realize my contribution is minimal, but here are some changes/observances we've done lately:
  • we planted seeds in biodegradable egg cartons, then planted them in our yard.

  • we had a picnic (okay so maybe taking chic fil a to a park does not denote a picnic??).

  • we're using these bags when we shop.
  • we're buying local.
  • we had our backyard landscape designed with all native texas plants and will not need to use our irrigation system ever (even in the TX hot summers!!).
  • we got rid of junk mail.
  • we stopped buying water bottles in bulk and replaced with these instead.

check out how others are making their carbon footprint.

i admit, i still like my conveniences and am not ready to give up the paper towels!

this e-card compliments of barefoot books put a smile on my face, maybe it will yours too.

3 comments:

the higgins family said...

fabulous post! one of your best!

Rita Jr. said...

Wow...I became so green today that people were stopping me in the halls at work asking me if I was about to hurl!

I think it's GREAT what you are all teaching your kids.

I promise to do my part!

GREEN ON!

terrye wilkes said...

I cannot wait to see your backyard. I know I will be jealous of the beauty as well as the low maintenance. I plan to look into some of those grasses mentioned on nautraldave's website.